Monday 17 May 2010

Lets get Something Done « Cycle Parking at Surbiton Station

Lets get Something Done

May 17, 2010 bigdai100--> Edit

The recent move by South West Trains to extend and improve security for cycle parking at Surbiton Station is to be applauded. I have been parking at the station for 4 years, 12 months a year, and I have seen demand for parking raise enormously and it is great that they have responded to this need.

What is disgraceful is the way access to the secure area has been handled. I have heard two descriptions as to how places were allocated, one from SWT and one from a (successful) applicant; neither inspires confidence as to the process.

I spoke to the SWT police liaison officer on Wednesday 12th May, when I first saw the poster telling us that spaces had all gone. He called me back to say that the station manager had put up a poster and spaces where taken on a first come, first served basis. All places when within the day.

Another cyclist told me that he had asked at the service counter and had his name had been written down and was later told he had been successful.

What is clear from both of these descriptions is that the process was seriously flawed and unfair;

  • Inadequate opportunity for cyclist to apply for spaces
  • Insufficient publicity as to how to apply for publicity
  • Lack of priority for most frequent users of the facility
  • Actively, disadvantages against season ticket holders, as they are less likely to queue at the service counter.

I was aware that the secure compound was coming,  from discussions with SWT Customer Service Centre, when the construction started, I was actively looking out for a notice telling me how to apply for a place. I did ask at the counter, to be told that customers would find out in due course. If I can miss the publicity then there was something flawed.

A lottery for places would have produced a fairer outcome, at least all of us would have had an equal chance.

I am calling for SWT’s to review the allocation process and put in place something that is transparent and in which all cyclist have a equal opportunity to participate. Furthermore they should review usage of the facility so that the heaviest uses are not kept out of the facility by those that only occationly cycle to the station

Please sign the petition here

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. .

Sign the petition

Posted via web from Big Dai's posterous

No comments: